Sony Xperia Z3 users eagerly awaiting the update to Android 5.0 lollipop have some good news, as this article explains how to update Sony Xperia Z3 to Android 5.0 lollipop. But how is this possible ahead of the official release date? Well, this is all thanks to the custom ROM developers that have utilised the CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) ROM to run Android 5.0 lollipop on Sony’s latest release, the Sony Xperia Z3.
As Sony continue to take an age to develop the official Lollipop update for the Sony Xperia Z3 over the air, we provide a step by step guide of how to update Sony Xperia Z3 to Android 5.0 lollipop using the CyanogenMod 12 (CM12) ROM development. It should be noted, however, that the CM12 is still in very early development so this is an experimental, unofficial method of installing Android 5.0 lollipop on the Sony Xperia Z3.
Before proceeding, ensure you are happy to experiment with the device and make sure that you have backed up any data as required. So, let’s look at how to update Sony Xperia Z3 to Android 5.0 lollipop using step by step instructions.
- Before starting the process, make sure your phone is the Sony Xperia Z3 as these instruction won’t work with any other devices.
- Make sure there is a significant amount of battery charge as this can be quite resource intensive and can result in issues if cutting out before installation.
- Verify USB drivers on the device.
- Ensure USB debugging is enabled on the device through settings then developer options.
- Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0 Lollipop ROM for Xperia Z3 from here <insert link>
- Make sure you have Google Apps, which you can also download from here <insert link>
How to update Sony Xperia Z3 to Android 5.0 Lollipop Steps
1. From your computer or laptop, download the CM12 Android 5.0 ROM. Additionally, download Google Apps for Sony Xperia Z3.
2. Extract the “boot.img” file from the zip package.
3. Plug in your Sony Xperia Z3 mass storage device via the USB port on your computer.
4. Copy and paste the CM12 Android 5.0 ROM zip file and the Google Apps zip file to the root folder of your Sony Xperia Z3 phones SD card. The root folder, sometimes referred to as /, is the main folder of the SD card.
5. Copy and paste the boot.img file, separately extracted in step 2 to the “android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools” directory.
6. Turn off the Sony Xperia Z3 device.
7. When rebooting the phone, boot into the bootloader mode by pressing and holding volume up while still connected via the USB cable. If successful, the LED light on the phone should turn blue to verify bootloader mode has been initiated. If there is no blue light then reboot, disconnected the USB cable and try again.
8. Once bootloader mode has been initiated on the phone, use your computer to navigate to the “android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools” directory and launch a command prompt by holding shift and right click, then launching a command prompt.
9. Enter the following command into command prompt: “fastboot flash boot boot.img”. Press enter.
10. Enter the following command into command prompt: “fastboot reboot”. Press enter.
11. Once complete, boot the phone into recovery mode. You can do this by powering the phone on and repeatedly tapping on the volume buttons until the LED lights on the phone turn pink. Again, if this doesn’t work repeat until successful.
12. The phone should now be in recovery mode. You should now undertake a data wipe of the phone by selecting the “wipe data” or “factory reset” option. Use the power button to make a selection and the volume buttons to navigate. Please note: do not pass this point if you do not want to update Sony Xperia Z3 to Android 5.0 lollipop.
13. Next, wipe the cache on the phone by selecting the “wipe cache partition” option.
14. Finally, wipe the dalvik cache to ensure there are no other issues. From the recovery menu, select advanced using the volume buttons and power to acecpt, then select “wipe dalvik cache”.
15. Once on the main recovery screen, select the install zip from SD card option. Select the “choose zip from sdcard option”
16. Navigate using the volume keys to the Android 5.0 ROM zip file that we had previously copied to the SD card in step 4. Use the power button to select this file and follow the installation instructions.
Steps 1-16 have shown how to install the CM12 Android 5.0 ROM onto your Sony Xperia Z3 device securely. You should repeat the steps for Google Apps, uploading the Google Apps zip file and installing as shown in these instructions.
With Google Apps and the CM12 Android 5.0 ROM installed on the device, select the “Go Back” option and perform a system reboot by selecting the reboot system now option.
The Sony Xperia Z3 will reboot slowly in order to install the latest operating system and Google apps. DO NOT INTERRUPT this process or you could cause damage to the phones operations.
If you have performed all steps correctly, your Sony Xperia Z3 will be running Android 5.0 lollipop using the CM12 customised ROM. You can check this by going to settings and about phone to validate.